At Pacific Northwest Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeons in Federal Way, WA, our oral surgeons are experts in dental implant placement. They are an ideal solution for tooth loss because they permanently replace missing teeth with natural-looking and fully functional replacements. More traditional tooth replacement solutions, such as bridges and dentures, last only for several years, and they are more focused on cosmetic results. In contrast, dental implants restore not only your smile but also your ability to eat and chew normally. They also preserve the health of your jaw bone and prevent dental shifting.
What is a dental implant?
It is a tooth replacement option designed to both look and function exactly like a natural tooth. The three parts work together to restore and maintain your oral health, explained below:
- The implant screw (or post) is the support system of a dental implant. The screw, which is made of medical-grade titanium, is placed into your empty tooth socket and acts as a tooth root. The post integrates with your jaw bone and creates a sturdy foundation for the other two parts.
- The abutment connects the titanium screw to the final restoration piece. Once the screw has healed and fused with the jaw bone, the abutment is attached to the post and the prosthetic crown is attached to the abutment.
- The prosthetic crown is the final piece. While your dental implant heals and fuses with your jaw bone, your restorative dentist will create your custom crown. This crown will be custom designed to look exactly like your natural teeth, and once attached, it will function like them too.
What are the benefits of choosing dental implants?
They provide a variety of benefits not offered by bridges, dentures, and other more traditional tooth replacement options. Because of their three-part design, they can permanently restore missing teeth without the discomfort or inconvenience of removable or temporary options. They are also versatile, and they can be used to replace a single tooth, multiple teeth, or even support the restoration of a full arch of teeth. Below are some of the specific advantages patients experience with dental implants:
- Dental implants restore and maintain overall oral health. Because the implant screw fuses with the jaw bone, patients can maintain jaw bone stimulation and prevent bone loss. Their placement in the empty tooth socket also prevents other teeth from shifting into an empty spot and causing facial sagging. Additionally, they don’t require damaging surrounding teeth for support, which is the case with tooth-supported bridges.
- Dental implants are a permanent restoration option. Most tooth replacement options must themselves be replaced after several years. However, dental implants can potentially last a lifetime if properly cared for. Daily flossing and brushing help maintain the health of your dental implants for lifelong tooth replacement.
- Dental implants most closely resemble natural teeth. They are custom designed to look exactly like your natural teeth, so you can regain your confidence in your smile, and no one will know you had a procedure done. Their design also allows them to function exactly like natural teeth, eliminating the need to change your diet and take special care of them.
How do I know if I can receive dental implants?
Every patient has different needs regarding their oral condition. When you visit our office in Federal Way, WA, we can perform a consultation and determine whether or not you are a candidate. Typically, patients who are healthy enough to undergo a tooth extraction or other outpatient procedure are healthy enough to undergo dental implant placement. Your treatment will depend on your individual condition, which is why we encourage you to come to our office for a consultation and examination.
The Dental Implant Procedure
Before your surgery, you will work hand in hand with your oral surgeon to select the anesthesia option most comfortable for you. You may undergo additional diagnostic imaging to assist your surgeon in formulating the best plan for placement. Our offices are not only equipped with 3D cone beam CT scanners, but also 3D intraoral scanners. This modern technology provides the most accurate and well-fitting restorations possible and reduces the total amount of appointments and time it takes to have your restoration placed.
If you are undergoing a tooth extraction, often the dental implant is placed at the same time as your tooth removal. Sometimes the abutment and crown can be attached immediately, but in most cases, patients undergo a short healing period before receiving their new restorative crown. Once the digital impression is completed, the information is sent electronically to your dentist’s preferred dental laboratory, the crown is made per your dentist’s specifications and then sent directly to their office, where you will have your restoration completed a few weeks later.
Where is the best place to get dental implants in Federal Way, WA?
At Pacific Northwest Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeons, we are proud to serve the Federal Way community and the overall Pacific Northwest Region. Our oral surgeons are experts at placing dental implants and take great care to ensure that every patient experiences optimal results and a comfortable recovery. If you’re looking for a tooth replacement solution, dental implants may be the perfect choice for you. Please contact our office to schedule an appointment; we look forward to hearing from you.
Pacific Northwest Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeons
2345 SW 320th St
Federal Way, WA 98023
Phone: (253) 838-2123