At Pacific Northwest Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeons in Federal Way, WA, our oral surgeons are experts in dental implant placement. They are an ideal solution for tooth loss because they permanently replace missing teeth with natural-looking and fully functional replacements. More traditional tooth replacement solutions, such as bridges and dentures, last only for several years, and they are more focused on cosmetic results. In contrast, dental implants restore not only your smile but also your ability to eat and chew normally. They also preserve the health of your jaw bone and prevent dental shifting.
What is a dental implant?
It is a tooth replacement option designed to both look and function exactly like a natural tooth. The three parts work together to restore and maintain your oral health, explained below:
- The implant screw (or post) is the support system of a dental implant. The screw, which is made of medical-grade titanium, is placed into your empty tooth socket and acts as a tooth root. The post integrates with your jaw bone and creates a sturdy foundation for the other two parts.
- The abutment connects the titanium screw to the final restoration piece. Once the screw has healed and fused with the jaw bone, the abutment is attached to the post and the prosthetic crown is attached to the abutment.
- The prosthetic crown is the final piece. While your dental implant heals and fuses with your jaw bone, your restorative dentist will create your custom crown. This crown will be custom designed to look exactly like your natural teeth, and once attached, it will function like them too.
What are the benefits of choosing dental implants?
They provide a variety of benefits not offered by bridges, dentures, and other more traditional tooth replacement options. Because of their three-part design, they can permanently restore missing teeth without the discomfort or inconvenience of removable or temporary options. They are also versatile, and they can be used to replace a single tooth, multiple teeth, or even support the restoration of a full arch of teeth. Below are some of the specific advantages patients experience with dental implants:
- Dental implants restore and maintain overall oral health. Because the implant screw fuses with the jaw bone, patients can maintain jaw bone stimulation and prevent bone loss. Their placement in the empty tooth socket also prevents other teeth from shifting into an empty spot and causing facial sagging. Additionally, they don’t require damaging surrounding teeth for support, which is the case with tooth-supported bridges.
- Dental implants are a permanent restoration option. Most tooth replacement options must themselves be replaced after several years. However, dental implants can potentially last a lifetime if properly cared for. Daily flossing and brushing help maintain the health of your dental implants for lifelong tooth replacement.
- Dental implants most closely resemble natural teeth. They are custom designed to look exactly like your natural teeth, so you can regain your confidence in your smile, and no one will know you had a procedure done. Their design also allows them to function exactly like natural teeth, eliminating the need to change your diet and take special care of them.
How do I know if I can receive dental implants?
Every patient has different needs regarding their oral condition. When you visit our office in Federal Way, WA, we can perform a consultation and determine whether or not you are a candidate. Typically, patients who are healthy enough to undergo a tooth extraction or other outpatient procedure are healthy enough to undergo dental implant placement. Your treatment will depend on your individual condition, which is why we encourage you to come to our office for a consultation and examination.
Dental Implant Treatment Process
Your dental implant treatment will likely differ from that of other patients because it will be personalized to fit your specific needs. In most cases, the treatment process involves combined effort from our office and your dentist. When you first visit our office in Federal Way, WA, we will examine your condition, review your medical history, and take any necessary X-rays and 3D scans. These images will help us develop the best treatment plan possible and eliminate any surprises that may come up during surgery.
Once we have developed a personalized treatment plan, we will discuss your sedation options with you and provide you with instructions for pre- and post-operative care. At your next appointment, we will be sure to answer any questions before the procedure begins. We will then administer your chosen form of anesthesia—typically patients choose to undergo IV anesthesia and sleep comfortably throughout the procedure—and begin the surgery.
The procedure is short and involves your oral surgeon opening your gums to replace the implant screw. He will then suture the surgical site and slowly wake you from your anesthesia-induced sleep. Over the next several months, your implant will heal and integrate with your jaw bone. You will then return to the office to have your abutment and prosthetic crown attached.
Where is the best place to get dental implants in Federal Way, WA?
At Pacific Northwest Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeons, we are proud to serve the Federal Way community and the overall Pacific Northwest Region. Our oral surgeons are experts at placing dental implants and take great care to ensure that every patient experiences optimal results and a comfortable recovery. If you’re looking for a tooth replacement solution, dental implants may be the perfect choice for you. Please contact our office to schedule an appointment; we look forward to hearing from you.
Pacific Northwest Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeons
2345 SW 320th St
Federal Way, WA 98023
Phone: (253) 838-2123